If you’re going out on a kayak either for a day trip or for fishing, it can be important to keep your items cool! So we’ve found 6 of the best kayak coolers for you to take on the water with you.
We’ve looked at if they float, if they’re made specifically for fishing or casual trips, size, making sure they stay in the kayak, and how long they keep items cool for.
*This post may include affiliate links. When you purchase items from these links, we will receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, to help support this website. Thank you for your support! Read more ->
In a hurry? Here’s our top 6 picks:
6 Best Kayak Coolers
- Perception Splash Tankwell Cooler – Best For Fitting Into Storage Areas
- Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Cooler – Best For Getting Into Quickly
- CreekKooler Floating Cooler – Best For Towing Alongside You
- Enthusiast Gear Roll Top Insulated Backpack Cooler – Best Dry Bag Cooler
- Perception Splash Seat Back Cooler – Best for Lawn Chair Style Seats
- Tourit Insulated Cooler Backpack – Best for Adventures
The Perception Splash Tankwell Cooler is a great choice if you’re looking for a cooler that fits almost perfectly in most kayak storage areas.
This cooler has a 40 liter capacity, and should keep your food cool all day long. This cooler also has backpack straps so you can easily carry it when you’re not in the kayak.
This cooler keeps food cold with a 1/2 inch insulated foam around.
- Fits snugly in most kayak storage areas
- Keeps your food cool all day
- D rings to hold it down
- Doesn’t keep items cool for as long as some other items on this list
- If it gets wet, it stays wet and soggy all day
- Fits in most kayaks, but not every brand
This Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Cooler is a great option to bring with you on your kayak. One of the best features of this cooler is that the top isn’t attached with a zipper, but an easy to open flip lid.
This cooler weighs in at just over 3 pounds, and will keep your items cool for up to 3 days.
The larger coolers of this type have straps on the side, so you can easily attach it to a kayak if there’s not space in the storage areas.
- Keeps your food cool for up to 3 days
- Easy to open the top without a zipper to worry about
- Leak proof lining
- Hard body lining piece with shelf
- The lining piece can crack
- Only the larger ones have gear straps
- With items other than just ice in the cooler, it won’t stay cool for as long
The CreekKooler Floating Cooler is a great kayak cooler if you want one that will just float alongside you on your trip.
Made of similar material as to most kayaks, this will easily float alongside you. It’s insulated, and being in the water will keep your items cool for longer. This even has 4 spots for drinks to sit on top!
- Keeps your items cool for days
- Doesn’t use up any storage space on the kayak
- Holds 30 quarts of items
- Can slow you down some on kayaking if you’re going for speed
- Does not come with a rope/leash – you have to buy separate
This Enthusiast Gear Roll Top Insulated Backpack Cooler has it all. This is a great choice for a kayak cooler for so many reasons. It’s a roll-top so it stays waterproof and you can even let it drag alongside you, or have it stored on your kayak without worrying of it getting wet.
This bag has a 15 liter capacity, and has a padded shoulder strap for easy carry if you’re not using it on the kayak, or are taking a break from your kayak on the beach.
When not in use, this can be folded up or rolled so it doesn’t take up too much added space when you aren’t on an adventure.
- Doubles as either cool bag or dry bag
- Welded seams to ensure waterproof
- Only keeps items cool for 12 hours
- Some issues with the clips breaking
Related: Best Dry Bags for Kayaking
This Perception Splash Seat Back Cooler is a great choice IF you have a kayak with lawn chair style seats. This cooler easily sits on the back of your kayak seat, and has an easy to reach zip top so you can access drinks in the cooler while sitting.
It’s made of water resistant material to keep your items cool and dry even if they get splashed with water.
Easily attach this kayak cooler to your seat with bungee cords that are included.
- Easy to access food and drinks
- Simple to attach
- Keeps your food cold all day
- Only works with a specific type of kayak seat
- Fairly small
You may also be interested in: Kayak vs Canoe
This Tourit Insulated Cooler Backpack is a great choice of a cooler if you want a multi-purpose cooler that can easily go on a kayaking trip with you.
This is a leak-proof cooler that will fit all of your lunch needs, being able to hold up to 25 cans. Use the front pocket to carry plates and utensils for your meal too.
This will keep your food cold for up to 16 hours.
- Easy to clean
- Can have multiple purposes
- Convenient to carry with backpack straps
- Not specific for kayaking
- Smaller than some of the other items on this list
You may be interested in: The best beach coolers
Hopefully one of these kayak coolers will match your needs for your next journey, whether you need one for fishing or just a day trip.